Rules - Pohorje Ultra Trail 2019
The association “Društvo Aktivni smo” is organizing the fifth edition of Pohorje Ultra Trail (PUT), previously known as Trail Marathon Pohorje, a partially self-sufficient trail running race in a low-mountain environment.
Pohorje Ultra Trail is a trail running race that takes place along paths on Pohorje with four different POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL courses and a KIDS RACE.
In accordance with the provisions of Mountain running association by Athletic Federation of Slovenia, for all participants on the trail Pohorje Ultra Trail–53K that are citizens of the Republic of Slovenia, counts as The first national championship of Slovenia in trail running.
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 85K:
Distance: 85,6 km
Difference of elevation: +3.670 m | -3.670 m
Start: Saturday, August 24th at 4 am in the Sports park in Ruše
Time limit: 22 ur
ITRA: 4 points
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 53K:
Distance: 53,7 km
Difference of elevation: +2.720 m | -2.720 m
Start: Saturday, August 24th at 8 am in the Sports park in Ruše
Time limit: 16 ur
ITRA: 3 points
The event counts as the first Slovenian national championship in trail running.
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 35K:
Distance: 35,8 km
Difference of elevation: +1.570 m | -1.650 m
Start: Saturday, August 24th at 10 am in Slovenska Bistrica.
Bus will start from main area in Ruše at 8:15 am.
Time limit: 11 ur
ITRA: 2 points
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 17K:
Distance: 16,6 km
Difference of elevation: +700 m | -700 m
Start: Saturday, August 24th at 10 am in the Sports park in RušeTime limit: 5 ur
KIDS RACE: The race starts on Saturday, August 24th at 10:30 am in Ruše.
- Every participant competes on his own responsibility.
- To be completely aware of the length and the specificity of the event and to be perfectly prepared for it.
- These races are open to anyone, man or women, those who have reached the age of 18 years, club member or not.
- To have acquired, prior to the race, a real capacity for self-sufficiency in the mountains which permits the management of problems induced by this type of course, and notably
- To know how to face, without outside help, climatic conditions which can become very difficult due to the microclimate conditions (night, wind, cold, fog, rain or snow)
- To know how to manage, even if one finds oneself isolated, physical or mental problems arising from high fatigue, digestive problems, muscular or joint pain, minor ailments…
- To be fully aware, that it is not the role of the organization to help a runner to overcome these problems and that for such an activity in the nature, security depends upon the capacity of the runner to adapt to the problems encountered, or envisaged.
Each runner declares their knowledge of and accepts the present regulations and agrees to accept them without reserve and to promote the event’s ethical charter available at pohorjeultratrail.si/ethical-charter
The individual principle of racing in semi autonomy is the rule.
Semi autonomy is defined as having the capacity to be autonomous between two refreshment points, not only on the food front but also that of clothing and security, being able to adapt oneself in particular to problems encountered or envisaged (bad weather, physical problems, injuries…).
This principle is implicated in the following rules:
- Each runner must have all of his/hers obligatory equipment with him/her at all times during the race. He/She carries this equipment in a pack presented at the race-bib distribution and it must not be changed during the course. At any time during the race, the marshals can verify the bag and its contents. The runner is obliged to accept these controls in a friendly manner, at the risk of exclusion from the race.
- Refreshment points have been supplied with food and beverages to consume on the spot. Only plain water and isotonic beverages are destined for water bottle or bag replenishment. Each runner must make sure to have, upon leaving each refreshment point, the quantity of water and food necessary for them to reach the next refreshment point.
- Plastic cups will not be available for drinking at the refreshment points. Competitors must be in possession of a cup or other container suitable for personal use with a minimum volume of 15cl. Attention, water-bottles and flasks are not acceptable!
- Personal assistance is only tolerated at refreshment points, in the zone specifically reserved for this purpose and with agreement of the head of post. This assistance can only be assured by one single person, without specific equipment other one than one bag of a volume of 30 litres maximum. The remainder of the refreshment point is strictly reserved for the runners.
- It is forbidden, to be accompanied or agree to be accompanied during all or any part of the race by a person not enrolled, outside the tolerance zones indicated close to the refreshment posts.
Participation in the Pohorje Ultra Trail assumes the acceptance of the present regulations and ethics of the race which are available at pohorjeultratrail.si
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 85K: 150
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 53K: 200
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 35K: 200
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 17K: 200
KIDS RACE: 200
The pre-registration starts on February 1th 2019 and closes on July 31st 2019 unless the maximum number of participants in total has already been reached.
Applications are accepted on the web site pohorjeultratrail.si.
The registration is confirmed when the registration fee is paid and received on the organizer’s account.
|1.2. – 30. 4. 2019||70 €||5O €||35 €||30 €|
|1. 5. – 31. 7. 2019||85 €||60 €||45 €||35 €|
|1. 8. – 24. 8. 2019*||85 € / 88 €**||60 € / 63 €**||45 € / 48 €**||35 € / 38 €**|
*without personalized BIB number and goody bag
**registration in the registration office on the day of the event.
ATTENTION: Transfer by organized bus from the main area in Ruše to the start point in Slovenska Bistrica is 5€..
When paying with PayPal additional 3 € handling fee will be charged.
- 8 people or more – 15% discount on entry fees
- more than 15 people – individual arrangement with the organizing committee, please send an e-mail to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
KIDS RACE: 5 €
Only competitors who settle their start fees by July 31st 2019 will receive a goody bag..
Registration fees can be paid by PayPal, by bank transfer, credit card or in cash in registration office.
Bank account holder: DRUŠTVO AKTIVNI SMO
Address: KOROŠKA ULICA 7
State: Slovenia – 705
IBAN: SI56 6000 0000 0520 767
SWIFT (BIC): HLONSI22
Bank: Hranilnica LON d.d.
- bank transfer: payment reference must be listed!
- Entry fees can’t be refunded because of organizing difficulties
The registration fees includes the following:
- a race bib,
- time measurement (live tracking)
- a goody bag (registration till July 31th 2019)
- assistance and refreshments along the race route,
- transport of spare bags to the track (only for Pohorje Ultra Trail 85K),
- transport of spare bags from start in Slovenska Bistrica to the finish in Ruše (Pohorje Ultra Trail 35K),
- the transfer of competitors who depart from the control point to the finish,
- medical help along the course,
- a food voucher on arrival,
- showers at the finish,
- a finisher’s medal,
- Compressport T-shirt for registration till do 31. 7. 2019
Any cancellation of registration must be made by email at email@example.com. No cancellations are accepted by telephone.
The transition between the races is possible until 31.7.2019, but we do not return the difference in the amount of the registration fee. Registration fee can NOT be used for the following race year (2020), and it’s not transferable to another person.
Should the race be cancelled because of circumstances beyond our control up to 25 days before the race, the Organization reserves the right to refund 50% of the admission fee. This percentage is calculated to enable the Organization to cover part of the expenses incurred.
Should the race be cancelled or interrupted for atmospheric reasons, or for any other reason beyond our control, no refund of the registration fee will be made.
In the case of a non chronic osteoarticular or muscular injury to the runner, and uniquely in this situation, suffered after registration and not completely curable by the day of the race, the organization recommends that the injured runner does not take an unnecessary risk, and cancels his registration for the current year at the same time making a request to participate in a future race (Pohorje Ultra Trail 2020).
Any request for postponement must reach us, accompanied with a complete medical report (detailed medical report and x-ray or MR results confirming the diagnosis) by September 10th 2019 at the latest. Any incomplete report will be rejected.
Requests will be processed by September 30th 2019 at the latest. The only medical counsel will judge the case and their decision is final.
By registering, each runner personally agrees to engage in the following :
- I declare that I have read and understood the regulations and ethics of the race (available at pohorjeultratrail.si
- I understand and approve of the conditions of participation which figure in the regulations
- I agree to respect all items of the regulations
- I agree to scrupulously respect and promote the ethic
- I agree to be aware of any medical condition which could concern me and, consequently relieve the organization of any responsibility for any medical problem which may arise during the event due to any negligence on my part
In order to participate in these events, a set of obligatory equipment is required. However it is important to note it is the minimum necessary and that each trail-runner must adapt it according to their needs. It is important, in particular, not to choose clothing that is the lightest possible weight in order to gain a few grams, but to choose items which will give real protection against the cold, windy mountain weather, therefore giving a good level of security and performance.
|Mobile phone (save in the contacts the security numbers of the organisation, keep it switched on- in silent mood, do not hide one’s number and do not forget to set off with recharged batteries)||O||O||O||O|
|Personal beaker 15cl. Minimum (water-bottles or flasks with lids are not acceptable)||O||O||O||O|
|Stock of water (minimum 1 liter)||O||O||O||O|
|Head torch in good working condition with replacement batteries||O||O/R*||/||/|
|Survival blanket 1.40m x 2m minimum||O||O||O||O|
|Adhesive elastic band enable making a bandage or strapping (min. 100cm x 6cm)||O||O||O||R|
|Adequate running shoes||O||O||O||O|
LEGEND: O – Obligatory | R – Recommended | SR – Strongly Recommended | O/R* – Obligatory after 20:30h | O*/SR*- Obligatory in case of rainy weather or weather forecast with high risk of thunderstorms. The organizer retains the right to impose additional mandatory equipment for the safety of the runners not later than one day before the event.
It is the runner’s responsibility, according to these criteria, whether their jacket fits the regulations and therefore bad weather in the mountains, but, when controlled, the judgement will be made by the person responsible for the control or the race steward.
The windproof jacket does not replace the mandatory waterproof jacket with hood.
Required by the Police: ID card.
Strongly recommended equipment:
- Knife or scissors with which to cut the self-adhesive elasticized bandage
- a change of warm clothes indispensable in the case of cold weather, rain or injury
- the sum of 20 € minimum in order to cover the unexpected
- walking poles. (If you decide to use poles, you must keep them throughout the whole of the race. It is forbidden to start without sticks and recover them up along the way.)
For all your questions concerning obligatory equipment consult on firstname.lastname@example.org
A photographic identity 23. 8. 2019 from 15.00 till 20.00 and 24. 8. 2019 from 6.00 till 9.00 in Sport Park Ruše.
Upon taking the start number you will need to pay a deposit in amount of 5€ for the chip for electronic measuring of time. The deposit will be returned at the return of the chip.
The race bib must be worn on the chest or the stomach and must be permanently and fully visible throughout the entire race. It must, therefore, always be positioned over any clothing and cannot for any reason be fixed onto the back or a leg. The name and logo of the sponsors must neither be modified, nor hidden.
The race number is the pass necessary to get to the shuttles, buses, refreshment points, nurses, rest areas, showers, areas for depositing or recuperating spares bags…Except in the case of refusal to comply with a decision taken by a race official, the race bib is never withdrawn, but in the case of retirement, it is deactivated.
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 85K COURSE: each competitor receives with his/her race bib, big and small plastic bag.
Big one: for the aid station/transition Trije Kralji. Having filled it with the affairs of their choice and having closed it, they can deposit it, at the designated place at the race HQ in the working hours. The bag is transported by the organisation to aid station/transition Trije Kralji. When reaching Trije Kralji, each runner reclaims their bag. When they leave again, they deposit their bag at the area set aside for this purpose. The bag is then taken back to Ruše.
Small one: for the personal stuff/gear at the start point. Having filled it with the stuff competitors doesn’t want to carry along the course, they can deposit it at the designated places at the each race start. The bags is then taken back to Ruše.
POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL – 53K, 35K, 17K
Each competitor receives with his/her race bib a small plastic bag for the personal stuff/gear at the start point. Having filled it with the stuff competitors doesn’t want to carry along the course, they can deposit it at the designated places at the each race start. The competitors at POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL–35K can deposit the bags at the start in Slovenska Bistrica. The bags is then taken back to Ruše.
The organization assures the repatriation, to Ruše, of sacks belonging to runners who have abandoned, on the condition that their abandonment has been registered. The delay of the return of bags is based on the logistical constraints and the organization cannot guarantee a complete return of the bags before the end of the race.
- The contents of the bags not having been checked, any complaint about the contents on arrival is not acceptable. It is recommended not to put valuable objects in it.
- Only the bags supplied by the organization will be transported.
- Sticks are not transportable in these bags.
- The Organization will definitely NOT send any bag to participants address
It is recommended to keep toiletry and change of clothing material at Ruše.
First aid posts are positioned at different points throughout the course. These posts are in radio or telephone liaison with Race Control. A medical control team is present during the entire duration of the event in Ruše.
The rescue posts are aimed at bringing help to any person in danger with the means particular to the organization or registered.
If it appears that a runner is in difficulty or seriously injured to call for assistance :
- go in person to a first aid point
- telephone the course controller
- ask another runner to alert the first aiders
It is essential that each runner helps anybody in danger and alerts the first aid point.
Do not forget, that due to the problems related to the environment and the type of event, one might have to wait for assistance for longer than anticipated. Your security, therefore, depends upon the quality of the materials that you have in your pack.
A runner calling on a doctor or a rescuer submits himself to their authority and undertakes to accept their decisions. From the moment where the health of a runner necessitates treatment via an intravenous drip, the runner will be, obligatorily, excluded from the race.
The first-aiders and doctors have the right to :
- exclude from a race (by invalidating the race-bib) all competitors deemed unfit to continue the event
- to evacuate by any means a runner judged to be in danger
- to hospitalise any runners whose state of health necessitates doing so
The choice of the means of evacuation and of hospital is the decision of the official first-aiders and doctors.
Expenses incurred, resulting from emergency assistance or evacuation, are payable by the person rescued who is also responsible for all costs relating to their return from the area to where they were rescued. The only resort is for the runner to constitute and present a dossier to his personal insurance within the deadline given.
If for any reason it is impossible to make contact with the course controller, you can call the rescue services directly by dialing 112 (especially if you find yourselves in a zone »urgences seulement/SOS only«)
Each runner must stay on the way-marked paths, even to sleep. Any runner who voluntarily leaves the way-marked path is no longer under the responsibility of the organisation.
A control is carried out on the arrival of any rescue or refreshment post.
Unexpected control posts are set up in places other than the rescue and refreshment posts. Their position is not communicated by the organization.
Only the runners carrying a visible and duly controlled race number have access to the refreshment posts.
The race info and the relevant pages on the internet give a precise list of the refreshment points.
They will be equipped with drinks + bananas, oranges, raisins, prunes, salty biscuits, cheese, sausage, bread.
A rations without gluten will be available upon request.
Furthermore, a hot dish is offered in Trije Kralji, Koča na Šumiku and in Ruše at the end of the race.
To avoid the wastage of disposable plastic cups during the race, every runner has to equip himself with a tumbler with a minimum volume of 15cl. Attention, water-bottles and flasks are not beakers!
Every runner seen throwing down their litter along the route will be penalized.
Trash cans are provided in large numbers at every refreshment post and must be used.
The maximum time for the event, for the totality of the course, is fixed at:
- POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL 85K : 22 hours
- POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL 53K : 16 hours
- POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL 35K : 11 hours
- POHORJE ULTRA TRAIL 17K: 5 hours
The time limits for leaving (time barriers) of the principle control posts will be marked and written in the course info.
These time barriers are calculated to enable participants to reach the Finish in the maximum time imposed, while making possible stops (rest, meal…) To be authorised to continue the event, runners must set off again from the control post before the fixed time limit (whatever their arrival hour at the control post).
Any competitor excluded from the race and wishing to continue his race can only do so after cancellation of his race number by representative of the organizer, at his own responsibility and in complete autonomy.
Participants who reach the check points after the maximum time, those who are injured and those who are judged by the medical staff to be unfit to continue the race, and any other athletes who decide to drop out, shall be taken to the finish line by shuttle bus. For logistical reasons, competitors who have dropped out may have to wait before being returned to the finish area. Any participant who drops out from the race at any point other than the established check points should make their own way to the following aid station/check point and from there will be transported to Ruše by car.
In the case of poor meteorological conditions and/or for reasons of safety, the organization reserves the right to stop the event underway or to modify the time barriers.
It is possible to take a shower, only at the arrival.
Access to the showers at the arrival is strictly limited to runners in bare feet.
Only in case of injury, a runner must abandon at a control post. They must alert the head of post, who will invalidate their race-bib.
The runner keeps his invalidated race bib because it is still his pass for shuttles, buses, meals, care rooms…
ln the case of unfavourable weather conditions justifying partial or total closure of the race, the organization ensures the repatriation as soon as possible of those runners having retired.
The trail will be fully marked with tapes, flags, floor markings and boards with directions. At critical sections volunteers will make sure that competitors follow the right trail. For better night vision, the way markers include a section of white reflective material which will be easily visible with a head torch.
ATTENTION: if you can not see any more markers, retrace your steps!
It is imperative that you follow the paths with the markers without taking short cuts.
When you finish, you will receive a
- finisher’s medal,
Race officials present on the course, and those in charge of different control and refreshment posts are authorised to uphold regulations and to immediately (*) impose a penalty for non-respect, based on the following chart:
|BREACH OF RULES PENALTY||DISQUALIFICATION|
|Using shortcuts, not following the marked path, coming to control point or refreshment post from wrong direction||At the race director’s decision min 1 hour for each irregularity|
|Lacking obligatory safety equipment (no minimum water supply of 1 litre, no waterproof or windproof jacket with hood**, no torch, no survival blanket, no mobile phone)||Disqualification|
|Lacking other obligatory equipment||Penalty 30 min per piece|
|Refuse to have obligatory equipment checked out||Disqualification|
|Throwing waste (voluntary act) by a competitor or a member of their team||Disqualification|
|Not respecting people (organisation or runners)||Disqualification|
|Not assisting a person in difficulty (requiring official assistance)||Disqualification|
|Receiving help outside authorised zones||Penalty 1 hour|
|Cheating (using transport, sharing race number,…)||Lifetime disqualification|
|Not passing through a control point||Depending on the Race Jury|
|Refusal to comply with an order from race control, from a race official, from a head of post, from a doctor||Disqualification|
|Departure from a control post after the hour limitation||Disqualification|
(*) Time penalties are applicable immediately after crossing the finish line.
(**) Depending on obligatory equipment on the day of the race in case of rainy weather or weather forecast with high risk of thunderstorms 85K, 53K, 35K.
Any other breach of the rules will be the object of a sanction decided on by the Race Jury.
All complaints must be made within half an hour after the arrival of the competitor in the finish line in writing with a cash deposit of € 50. The jury will decide on the appeal. The decision will be taken as soon as possible. There is no appeal on the decision.
Complaints regarding irregularities on the track must be made in writing and with proof (photographic material or at least three witnesses).
This is made up of:
- a representative of the runners
- the course director
- the race director
The jury is authorized to give a ruling in the time compatible within the imperatives of the race on all the objections lodged during the event. The decisions will be without appeal.
The organisation reserves the right to modify at any moment the route and the positioning of the rescue and refreshment posts, without warning.
In the case of unfavourable weather conditions (important quantities of rain or snow at altitude, strong risk of storms….) the start may only be postponed by a maximum several hours, after that time the race is cancelled.
In the case of poor meteorological conditions, and for reasons of safety, the organisation reserves the right to stop the event underway or to modify the time barriers.
In case of cancellation of an event, for whatever reason, decided before the 31.7.2019, a partial refund of the registration fees will be made. The amount of this refund will be calculated to allow the organisation to cover all irredeemable expenses committed, up to the date of the cancellation. In case of a cancellation less than 25 days before the race or in case of interruption of the race, for whatever the reason, no refund of the registration fee will be made.
Each competitor should have their own accident insurance which will cover any costs of search and rescue.
Pohorje ultra trail 85K, 53K, 35K, 17K
- Seniors Men/Women SEM / SEW 2001-1980
- Veterans Men/Women 1 VM1 / VW1 1979-1960
- Veterans Men/Women 2 VM2 / VW2 1959 in starejši
- General classification men and women.
National championship of Slovenia in trail running:
The first 3 men and the first 3 women in the general classification receive a trophy and a prize.
- CICI: 2013 and younger
- MINI: 2009 – 2012
- MAXI: 2008 – 2005
In categories MINI and MAXI the first 3 girls and the first 3 boys receive a medal.
Competitors who are sponsored may only have the sponsor’s logos on their clothing or equipment used during the race. All other publicity accessories (flags, banners) are forbidden at all points of the race including at the finish, at the risk of penalties imposed by the jury.
Every competitor relinquishes their claim to photographic and video copyright during the event, and he relinquishes any recourse against the organizer and against his approved partners for the use of his image or video. Only the organisation can pass on these rights for the image and vide in any media, via an accreditation or an adapted license. There will be a live streaming of the event on internet.